The Marketplace forum is provided as a service to qualified Anorak.Tech members, allowing them to buy / sell / trade items they own with other members. The rules are designed to make the Marketplace serve its purpose efficiently and to minimize problems.
All threads offering items for sale or trade or for free or asking to buy or receive items must be posted in the Marketplace forum and are subject to these rules. Members not eligible for the Marketplace forum may not start threads for such purposes elsewhere in the forums.
The Marketplace is for individual-to-individual sales of personally owned items or items personally owned by and in the possession of a family member living in the same household.
- Eligibility To use the Marketplace forum (read threads, start threads, or post replies), you must be a forum member with Access Level 2. For more details on the Access Levels read Read first: Access Levels of the forums.
- Forum rules All regular Forum Rules apply to the Marketplace forum.
- Ownership The Marketplace is for personal sales/trades of items owned by the members involved. You may not state that you are buying, selling, or trading on behalf of others, because it can interfere with responsibility and decision-making; YOU must be the sole party involved in the transaction with another forum member. You must be in physical possession of any items offered for sale at the time they are offered, and they must be available at the time you post.
- Commerce The Marketplace is not for commercial business.
- Fundraising The Marketplace may not be used for fundraising.
- Suitable items The Marketplace is intended primarily for computer-related items but is not limited to such items. We do not permit offers to sell/trade/buy hazardous materials, weapons, or age-restricted items that would be illegal for our members aged 13+ to purchase. We do not permit sales or trades that violate laws or items on eBay’s Prohibited and Restricted Items list. When in doubt, contact us for permission before starting a Marketplace thread.
- Excessive sales Excessive numbers of sales of new/unused items, or sales for excessive amounts of money - including gift cards - are not allowed. If the volume of sales is larger than would normally be expected for someone using the Marketplace only to sell personal items, then it’s probably too much. The administrators have sole discretion for this condition; if you’re unsure, contact us before you list. When in doubt, contact us for permission before starting a Marketplace thread.
- Terms and Conditions The Marketplace may not be used for transactions that bypass, or are intended to bypass, the Terms and Conditions of a product or service. This includes rules about product resale and service transfer.
- Jobs Offers of employment are permitted only when you personally want to hire someone, e.g., to design a graphic for you. You may not make job offers on behalf of a business or another person. Personal job requests (requests for employment) are permitted.
- Feedback Anorak.Tech does not maintain its own feedback system. If you have feedback elsewhere, you can post a link to it (and mention the name you use at that site) as a way to convey your credentials to others. Site with feedback systems include for example eBay. Both parties to a completed or failed transaction may post in that thread to give credit to the other or to report problems. Members may not post feedback in other Marketplace threads. Feedback should be a statement of facts that you know first-hand. If the parties disagree, they should each state their point of view, then let other members draw their own conclusions.
- Disclaimer Anorak.Tech does not and cannot evaluate sales, items, sellers, buyers, or prices. These rules are intended to maintain order and to assist, rather than impede, personal sales and trades among forum members, but cannot ensure that every offer is legitimate or fairly priced. Anorak.Tech is not responsible for the actions of forum members in carrying out the terms of sales, purchases, and trades.
- Common sense Use common sense and be straightforward in your dealmaking. Observe the spirit, not just the letter, of these rules. When in doubt about a rule, ask a moderator. Before entering into a transaction with another member, look at his or her previous Marketplace transactions, feedback from others they have dealt with (very important!), and their forum posting history. Make sure you have contact information outside of the Marketplace forum before sending money or goods to another member.
- Payment method Since Anorak.Tech offers no protection or formal mediation help, we strongly recommend that members not choose payment forms such as PayPal “gift” payments or cash payments. These methods do not permit formal recourse via the payment system in case of disputes. Members who arrange trades in the Marketplace should keep in mind that by their very nature trades aren’t subject to the protections available through payment systems.
- Rule violations If you think a sale, buyer, seller, or other forum member is breaking Forum Rules or these Marketplace Rules, report it to our moderators. Don’t police the sale yourself. If a member has a history of Marketplace problems or is involved in a disputed transaction, their other Marketplace activity may be frozen.
#Rules for sellers
- Sincerity Offer to sell or trade only if you are serious about doing so.
- One thread Create a single thread for a given item or set of items to be sold or traded together. Duplicate threads are not permitted.
- Thread title Use a short description of the item(s) as the thread title. Your thread title does not need full specs since you’ll post details in the thread. If you are selling only in a particular country or geographic area, you might include that in the title.
Commonly used abbreviations include:
- FS: (for sale)
- FT: (for trade)
- FS/T: (for sale or trade)
- FA: (for auction)
- WTB: (want to buy)
- Thread content Any item listed for sale in the Marketplace must be one of four things:
- Purchased by the seller for his or her own personal use (used by the seller);
- Given as a gift to or inherited by the seller (used or unused by the seller);
- Bought by the seller who now regrets the purchase (used or unused by the seller);
- Be personally owned by and in the possession of a family member living in the same household. In this case, the member who posts the sale is personally responsible as seller.
- In addition Separate threads are required for unrelated items. It is not permitted to add or remove items from the first post of a for-sale thread, because it can easily confuse users who are already considering or discussing your offer. Exception: You may add items to sweeten the deal without raising the asking price. Otherwise, use a separate Marketplace thread for new items.
- Description Post full description(s) of the item(s). Even if you post a link to eBay or other sale/trade/auction site, you must include the description in your Marketplace thread so that potential buyers/traders can evaluate what you are offering by what you post in the forums. The Anorak.Tech Marketplace is not to be used simply for advertising your sales or offers elsewhere.
- Be clear what items are included or not included and what their condition is. Potential buyers/traders will respond better to factual descriptions (model numbers and specs) than to infomercial-style superlatives or posts in ALL CAPS.
- Price If you don’t post an asking price, that is likely to be the very first question, so include one from the start if at all possible. Ask for a price that you consider reasonable and will accept.
- Additional information Members often ask for photos, your location, the reason you are selling/trading, methods of payment and shipping, and/or whether you have seller feedback from previous transactions. It may help you to anticipate these questions and provide the information up front, particularly if you are a lesser-known forum member.
- Bumps As in all threads, “bump” posts (those that simply bring your thread to the top of the New Posts list) are not permitted because they are unfair to other members’ threads. This rule applies not only to posts that say “bump” but to those with the intent to bump, including trivial changes to the offer, “last chance” posts counting down the time remaining, or new threads started to sell the same items. Since all interested parties should accept Private Conversations started by other members (as set in your Contact Details) and should be watching for and reading them (see next rule), there is no need to make posts saying “Graphics card sent”, “PM sent”, “Message sent”, etc.
#Rules for Buyers and Traders
- Interest If you are interested in the sale/trade, you may ask questions or make an offer by posting or by contacting the seller privately through Private Conversations. If you have trouble contacting them or you don’t hear back after more than a day, you can post in the thread to ask if they got your message (see Seller Rule: Messages above).
- Sincerity Offer to buy or trade only if you are serious about doing so.
- Hijacking If you have similar items for sale or trade, start your own thread. Do not post about your sale in someone else’s thread.
- Offers If you are an interested buyer/trader but don’t like the price, make what you consider to be a reasonable offer or see the Non-interest Rule below.
- Non-interest If you have no need for the items or don’t like the price, items, payment method, or other terms, ignore the thread. Do not post negative remarks about the sale or seller based on their offer, or suggest to others that they buy other products or buy/trade at other sites. Do not post unsolicited price advice or comparisons of the offer with those from other sources. Do not try to derail somebody else’s sale by posting in the thread. Let shoppers make their own decisions.
- Exceptions Exceptions to the Non-interest rule:
- You may post comments about prices or comparable offers elsewhere for threads or for which the thread-starter has explicitly solicited advice.
- You may send Private Conversation messages to other members to make an offer, and justify your offer based on comparable offers and prices elsewhere.
- You may send Private Conversation messages to other members involved in a transaction, including pricing suggestions to a seller, with the understanding that they are free to heed or ignore your advice and that you may not send repeated unsolicited e-mail to other members.